As a company driven by innovation in many areas of user interface and product usability, VTL has a number of technical and user interface innovations to its credit, some of which are listed below.
We were the first to recognize that high power is required for accurate reproduction of music in the home. VTL made the first very high powered amplifiers in continuous production, the de Luxe 500 in 1987 and the 1000 watt monoblock in 1990, followed by the MB-750 and Wotan MB-1250 in the mid 1990’s. Today our Siegfried Reference Monoblock Amplifier using our proprietary Auto Bias and Fault Sensing technology and a fully regulated power supply has captured the unique position as the first high power tube amplifier that uses an automatic control system to adjust the bias of the tubes and detect and report tube faults.
Since the beginning VTL has consistently made user friendliness a top design priority, to bring the beauty of tube amplifiers accessible to more equipment owners. With the introduction of the VTL proprietary Auto Bias and Fault Sensing system to our Signature and Reference amplifiers, VTL has made a bold step forward in bringing user friendliness to high performance vacuum tube amplifiers. This system encompasses logic-controlled automatic biasing which continually checks each tube for optimal performance, and an array of fault-sensing diagnostics that alert users to the operating status of each tube. This “smart tube” technology puts an end to the guesswork formerly inherent in large tube amplifiers, making this new generation VTL amplifiers much easier to use and maintain.
The VTL Design Philosophy: Keep it simple, keep it compact
Many of the distinguishing design choices made in the early VTL days are still made in the latest VTL models. The VTL design philosophy – keep it simple, keep it compact – has proven to yield reliable and consistently well regarded products throughout the last two decades. The VTL philosophy translates to the following design criteria – use simple circuits, pay attention to detail, use high quality parts, and use the best tubes. Fewer parts, and less complex circuits yield the pure tube sound of VTL.
The VTL Assurance of Quality
- All VTL products undergo a long burn-in and testing period. Test results from our Audio Precision test instrument are provided with each and every product shipped.
- All products also undergo a complete final quality control test where listening tests are performed, and all mechanical and electrical assemblies are examined and signed off.
- Each and every one of the VTL production units are signed off by our QC engineer prior to shipping, with final cosmetic checks performed before packing the finished product into custom made cartons and packaging materials.
- All products are comprehensively fused for greater safety and serviceability: user-replaceable AC and high tension fuses protect amplifier against component failure
- Lab safety tested and approved for home use
Hand-built in California, USA
All VTL products are precision hand-built in California, USA by experienced electronics production craftspeople.